Gluten free(dom)

| | 0 commentaires
Today, my cat decided to be a cat in all its glory. I made roses des sables, a French dessert, this morning and as a chocolate fix was needed urgently, I put the rack on the balcony to chill them quickly. I think Véga (the cat) thought it was a gift. A playground. No, actually, if one considers the many casualties, it was more like a battle field. None of the roses des sables survived. None were eaten. Was the cat satisfied? Of course she wasn't. Her freshly ignited war spirit led her to tear into pieces a whole chapter of my course on Near Eastern Antiquities that I had left on the floor (somehow I get her, Near Eastern Antiquities? argh). So no recipe today, blame it on the cat.

Instead, I'm sharing with you the ingredients I use the most. All of them are gluten-free. Of course, I do not use only these but they really are staples in my gluten-free kitchen. I've only been gluten intolerant for a year and a half so I'm still learning (and failing) and would love to hear from your own experience. What flours and grains do you use? Do you have any tips for gluten-free baking? Have you found THE pizza dough recipe yet?

Rice flour - after many pizza failures, this is the flour I got the best results with. I use it more in savoury recipes, for example pâte brisée, including crêpes
Sweet rice flour - it is lighter than rice flour due to its higer starch content. I like using it in baked goods that require a ligth texture, such as muffins, cupcakes and cookies. It's also an excellent binder as it is made from glutinous rice.
Goji berries - you need to try this recipe. A favourite of mine. I eat the bars straight from the freezer.
Unsweetened shredded coconut - to sprinkle. On everything. (if you're a coconut fan, of course)
Coconut sugar - I've recently discovered it and I'm hooked, I love that it almost tastes like brown sugar and that it's got a low glycemic index.
Chia seeds - work great as an egg replacer and to add to your overnight oats. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxydants.
Pumpkin seeds - add crunch to your salads. I've recently incorporated them in raw bars and will continue


Quinoa flour - quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods so I really enjoy cooking with it. I mostly use it for crackers but more and more often for cakes.
Sesame seeds - I make my own tahini and sprinkles them on salads as well
Rolled oats - I can only find this type of oats in France, I often ground them into a flour
Coconut flour - I really like everything coconut and the flour is no exception. But I find it hard to bake with it. Any tips?
Kasha - toasted buckwheat groats, they cook in no time (a couple of minutes) so they make a super quick breakfast when prepared as porridge. Buckwheat is rich in iron and contains the eight essential amino acids. A must if you're vegan.



Green split peas - I like split peas because they're so filling. My favourite way to prepare them is split pea puree.
Flax seeds - I don't buy ground flaxseed as it is too expensive and goes rancid too quickly. Instead, I grind flaxseeds in a spice grinder whenever I need and always keep it in a airtight container in the fridge. I use ground flaxseed as an egg replacer and on toast with butter.
Amaranth - its earthy taste has won me over. It's perfect for porridge.
Quinoa -  Quinoa + veggies = go-to meal. It's a bit like pasta really, except it's more nutritious.
Buckwheat flour - my second favourite flour. It's a bit heavy so you have to combine it with a lighter flour or a starch. An essential ingredient for traditional buckwheat crêpes.
Coconut oil - organic non-hydrogenated please, otherwide it freaks me out.
Beans - some of my favourites include kidney beans, azuki beans, fava beans and lima beans.


Chickpeas - chickpeas are so versatile. You can eat them cold or warm, include them in blondies, cookies. And make hummus! I think this is one of the food I eat the most, it's so easy to make and so easy to eat! You will often find me with a bowl of paprika chickpeas in the morning.
Chickpea flour - I have only one word : socca. I could live off socca.
Arrowroot powder - a substitute for cornstarch
Millet flour - it took me a little while to get used to the taste of millet flour.  Its nutty taste is perfect for sweet baked goods.
Almond flour - my all-time favourite flour. It adds moisture and it tastes like heaven.
Buckwheat flakes -


Almond butter - this one is blanched almond butter but I'm starting to be fed up with it. Back on the regular almond butter once the jar is finished.
Agave nectar - I use it to replace honey.
Millet - the "bird seed", and if the birds eat it, then I might as well do the same. It's a good source of manganese and magnesium.
Spirulina powder - just because I like the taste. Weird, I know. To include in smoothies and sports bars.
Le Puy green lentils and red lentils - lentils of any kind are a good source of protein, add in purées or soups for extra nutrition.
Coconut water - my new sports drink of choice, along with rooibos
Buckwheat groats - although the name can be deceptive, buckwheat is not related to wheat and is a seed so it is gluten-free and grain-free!
Hemp flour - packed with protein, and has a balanced ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Rechercher

 
Instagram Strava